Tuesday, October 14, 2008

blog 2

As a student, I have become very familiar with using MS Word. I have been introduced to MS Word at an early age. However, I am unfamiliar with the updated version of the software, MS Word 07. Most of my papers since middle school have been typed using MS Word. I am aware of various ways of commands for using the tools on MS Word. For instance, I know that to undo something I typed I can either use the menu bar or press CTRL Z. As far as my teachers using MS Word, I have seen my teachers use the application since elementary school. Once again, I have seen them use the older version of MS Word than the new updated version. I’ve seen my teachers use MS Word when they make worksheets and graphs. They also wrote information to that was related to their lectures on MS Word. As far as those two examples, however, there is not much I have seen my teachers use on MS Word.

I like the idea of using the MS Word processor for certain projects like newspapers and brochures. By using a word processor instead of doing the project in a arts and crafts fashion students could become more familiar with using the tools that are offered by the computer. The product of the project would look more professional and would be done in a more time- efficient manner. Also, I feel using the computers for specialized projects will allow students to be more creative and imaginative in the literate content of the project. For instance, in the making of the newspaper, students are troubled less with the actual production of the aesthetic look of the newspaper since a structured tool used to help them is there. Now they are able to focus more on the word content of the newspaper. Also the teacher, since most of the project was made on a template that all the students used, will also focus more on word content of the project.

One skill that I have received from the class already would be the new knowledge I have on the new version MS Office. By introducing me to the updated version, I am now more in tuned with modern technology than I was before the class. This will obviously be useful to me in my educational career because I will most likely have to teach my students with the use of the most modern teaching technology. So I feel being as knowledgeable as possible of all the current new technology is a very important habit to pick up.

No comments: