Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Blog 6

I think that the use of Web 2.0 technologies is a great way to benefit K-12 education. By utilizing the most resourceful technological advances, I feel that this is the step in the right direction concerning the competitive well-being of adolescent minds. Although the risk of over-dependency may be an issue with the use of Web 2.0 and the introduction of computers to children at an early age, having the students being competitively literate of the latest computer technological advances will allow them to become significantly more suited for more-skilled careers. Also, the Web 2.0 allows students to be a mouse-click away to find a vast array of important information.

The view I have on Wikipedia as a learning resource is complicated. I enjoy Wikipedia for its vast, basic knowledge on subjects. Wikipedia allows me to grasp background information and main points of certain subjects that I am oblivious to. However, though Wikipedia may be used as a efficient learning tool to pick up general information, I would never cite it or reference it as a reliable source. I feel that the risk of corrupt information is too high and would jeopardize the integrity of my papers. I use Wikipedia to touch upon main ideas of topics, but would never rely on it for information on important documents and detailed historical events.

One new skill I picked up in class last week that would be especially useful to me would be in the creation of my own wiki page. I feel that this would be especially useful to me in my educational career because I will be able to now make informative pages for my students online. This way I will be able to have my own website for my students where I will be able to post valuable information and events.

The End

No comments: